Data Set Description:
The rail layer contains railroads and miscellaneous transportation features such as transmission lines, airports, pipelines, etc., and is based on the USGS DLG transportation linework derived from the DLG-3 1:100,000 scale digital data derived from the original major/minor pairs. DLG coding is documented in "Digital Line Graphs from 1:100,000 Scale Maps, Data Users Guide 2, 1985" available from the U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia. (Description by Teale Data Center Data Library Users Guide)
Non-standard Attributes in table:
- C180201 (alias: RAILROAD): Railroad track.
- C180202 (alias: INSTREET): Track is embedded in a road or street.
- C180205 (alias: COG): Inclined rail.
- C180208 (alias: SIDING): Rail siding.
- C180209 (alias: YARDPERIM): Depicts a perimeter of a railroad yard.
- C180210 (alias: EXTENDRAIL): Arbitrary line extension.
- C180402 (alias: ROUNDHOUSE): Roundhouse.
- C180601 (alias: TUNNEL): Rails in tunnel.
- C180602 (alias: OVERPASS): Rails overpassing, on bridge.
- C180603 (alias: ABANDONRAIL): Abandoned rail.
- C180605 (alias: UNDERPASS): Underpassing rail.
- C180606 (alias: NARROW): Narrow gauge rail.
- C180610 (alias: RTLINE): Rapid transit.
- C180613 (alias: USGOV): United States government line.
- C181002 (alias: NUMTRACKS): Number of tracks coded in original-Always equals 2.
- C189002: not defined by source (Teale Data Center)
- C1890** (alias: MIN09RAIL): Minor code = 09, 17, or 30 is a coincident feature.
- C190201 (alias: PIPELINE): Pipeline.
- C190202 (alias: POWER): Power transmission line.
- C190203 (alias: PHONE): Telephone or telegraph lines.
- C190204 (alias: AIRTRAM): Aerial tramway, monorail or ski lift.
- C190205 (alias: EXTENDMISC): Arbitrary line extension.
- C190400 (alias: POWERSTA): Power station.
- C190401 (alias: SUBSTA): Substation.
- C190403 (alias: AIRPORT): Landing strip, airport or perimeter of airport.
- C190404 (alias: HELIPORT): Heliport or perimeter of same.
- C190408 (alias: MEA-STA): Measuring station.
- C190600 (alias: UNDERGROUND): Underground.
- C190602 (alias: ABANDONMISC): Abandoned miscellaneous transportation feature.
- C190613 (alias: ABOVEGROUND ): Aboveground.
- C190617 (alias: NUCLEAR): Nuclear.
- C198000 (alias: BEST-EST): Best estimate of position or classification.
- C1990** (alias: MIN**MISC): Minor code = 03, 05, 09, 17, 18, or 30 is coincident feature.
- TAG: Used to hide tile boundary when displaying.
- RAILDATA: A string used positionally to identify a feature.
- MISCDATA: A string used positionally to identify a feature.
- U_ID: Unique identification number.
Data Source History:
Teale Data Center was the source of the rail dataset. Teale's data quality assessment is as follows:"The data is derived from USGS 1:100,000 quad sheets. Features less than 10-15 years old may not appear. Feature completeness and accuracy is good for pipelines, rail lines, airports and tramways. Few of the other types listed are present in the layer. Attribute accuracy and completeness is good, although attributes only identify the feature as to type." Teale data contact: Roger Ewers, phone: (916) 263-1488. Jonathan Lowe (LKC) converted the dataset from Teale from an Albers projection, NAD27, units meters, to California State Plane, NAD83, units feet, using Arc/Info projection tools and two aml's called "alb2spc.aml" and "nad2783.aml."
No quality control yet performed outside of OCIS.
No security restrictions.
No scheduled updates.
Update process is not yet defined